I don't think I have ever been as happy to see a fever as I was today.
For those of you who know me well,
you are probably thinking that 2 weeks in the hospital
has completely robbed me of my sanity.
Maybe it has.
I absolutely HATE when my girls have a fever.
It makes me nervous, and breaks my heart.
Here's the story:
Lily spiked a fever yesterday.
The nurses put her on Motrin every 4 hours. The IV Therapy team came in and drew blood to send it off to the lab to see if any bacteria would grow. They also had Lily do a urine collection. This morning, the charge nurse was so excited that Lily was no longer spiking fevers, which seemed strange to me. Motrin typically does the trick of reducing fevers, and Lily had been on it around the clock! Regardless, the nurses said that she "looked" great. One of the difficult things to explain to people is that Lily is often times stoic. Just because she is not screaming and crying, does not mean that she feels alright.
So today, the plan was to try Lily on room air again, and if she could maintain her oxygen saturation at 75 or above, they would send her home tomorrow. Lily fluctuated from 65-82 all day long. The nurses were pleased with this.
Sounds too good to be true.
This afternoon Lily spiked another high fever. Thank goodness this happened in the hospital, and not right after we arrived home. The surgical team decided to start her on a strong antibiotic for the next 48 hours. Shortly after we were given this news, the charge nurse came in and told us that she had just received a phone call from the lab, and Lily's bloodwork from yesterday was positive for a bacterial infection. Tomorrow we will find out exactly what type of bacterial infection has grown. For tonight, Lily will be started on Vancomycin and Zosyn, which are two extremely strong antibiotics. Lily will receive them both, three times a day, by IV. Unfortunately, these antibiotics are very hard on the veins, and we have been warned that Lily will probably need several IV changes throughout this treatment. Lily has been poked all over every square inch of her body that now display huge bruises. I have no clue where else they can start an IV on my little princess. Depending upon what type of bacterial infection Lily has, the IV antibiotic treatment will either run 48 hours or for 5-7 days. Tomorrow we should have a better idea of what lies ahead of Lily.
A few specific prayer requests are that Lily has not drank anything since we arrived on the "floor". She will eat a few bites of food here and there, but refuses to drink. Last night they gave her IV fluids because they were afraid that she would become dehydrated. Also, the antibiotics that Lily will begin are known to cause severe diarrhea. After everything that Lily has been through, I am really not looking forward to this at all! And most importantly, an infection after surgery is very serious. Please be praying that the antibiotics act quickly and effectively at wiping out the infection that is inside of Lily's tiny body.
You may be wondering how Lily is doing tonight?
Well, her fever is down to 101F...
and she requested a wagon ride.
Oh how I LOVE this sweet girl!!!
A tasty treat before her IV antibiotics begin.
And how is Momma doing?
I am praising God for life...Lily's life.
Two weeks ago tomorrow,
Dr. Jonas gave Lily a chance at life.
Instead of focusing on Lily's infection,
my focus tonight is on
Praise be to God!
“Why, my soul, are you downcast?
Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.” (Psalm 42:11)