Once Upon A Prayer

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Papa's Ponderings

The girls were more than a little startled on the way to church last night.  We were in the left lane driving 45 mph.  There was a turning lane on our left.  Apparently, I was in the blind spot of the person driving the blue pick-up truck on my right.  Because in one insanely dangerous move, he cut directly in front of me – one inch from my bumper and tried to slow down in time to make it to the left turning lane.  He didn’t even see – until I smashed into him.  In a split second, it was all I could do to swerve sharply to the right, and not completely ram him.  The headlight shattered, my driver side mirror exploded, and there is a huge dent in my car.  I pulled over.  The other driver did not.  Either he had no insurance or he knew what he did was so dangerous he didn’t want to face me. 

Either way – I am stuck with the bill!


That’s life.  What can you do?  Not much really.  Yeah, it stinks when something like that happens at Christmas.  Yeah, it’s a bummer considering we are trying to fund a trip to China to get our babies.  But – that’s life.  Someone else’s choice can cost me dearly.  It’s always been that way.  We assume that risk every time we get into a car.  We assume that risk anytime we begin a new relationship. I know that on many occasions, I have done things that hurt or cost someone else dearly.  Was it fair what that driver did?  No.  But I have a choice.  I can whine.  I can complain.  Or, I can understand that although I don’t see it now, there might be a blessing in it somewhere.  “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything” (James 1:2-5).


Peace and Goodwill,
Jacques

No comments:

Post a Comment